23 December 2014

on coming home

Essentially, all you need to know, is that I went to London and grew up an awful lot;

that I didn't want to come home, and cried more in Utah for missing London than I ever cried in London for missing Utah; and that I was very very happy living in a townhouse of 35 girls, going to class in the room upstairs, driving for hours in a chartered bus through the English countryside, being jostled in underground rush hour traffic, eating fried rice from down the road every weekend, never not checking for wifi, teaching adorably accented six year olds at church about loving one another, going to concerts in pub basements, walking along the Thames at night, drawing Elizabeth I in the National Portrait Gallery, learning to use pounds, taking a two-hour train ride to Paris, eating endless Cadbury Caramel Nibbles, searching high and low for a decent Dr Pepper, befriending English boys who'll inevitably fade away from me with miles and states and countries between us, watching hoards of impeccably dressed businessmen crowd and spill around pubs after work, envying the girls in their dr martens and well-tailored wool coats, jealous that they belonged there and would get to stay forever and I was just a visitor with a round trip plane ticket.

So much happened there and due to my pitiful journal keeping I'm ever so afraid it's already slipping from memory. I'll have brochures and tickets and postcards to remind me of the places I went, but I'm afraid I'll forget how I felt driving up to them in our coach, being woken from uncomfortable naps to walk around quietly or (more often than not) dance upon their ancient floorboards. I was bored by some and in awe of others, not fully understanding what I was witnessing but feeling very important and yet very small for being a part of it. And the anecdotes here don't even begin to sufficiently record those adventures. 

So, essentially, all you need to know, is that I went to London and grew up an awful lot; that I didn't want to come home, and cried more in Utah for missing London than I ever cried in London for missing Utah; and that I was very very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be mature